Monday, April 16, 2012

The toddler diet

Oh, the toddler diet.  So narrow, so unpredictable.  I used to gobble up sweet potatoes, now I spit them out.  It can drive a well meaning parent batty.

I am not a health nut or a dietician. And yet, I was determined not to let my child exist on Goldfish crackers and juice, as so many toddlers do.  So far I've succeeded.  That's not to say that he doesn't have a limited palate.  I feel as though he eats the same thing all of the time, but at least that thing is relatively healthy.  He may yet go on a fruit and vegetable strike, but so far here are some of the tricks that worked for me.


1. Order of presentation matters.  He won't eat the vegetables if the bread and cheese is present.  But if he's hungry and vegetables are the only thing on his tray, in they go. Normally this one is a problem at restaurants where they bring everything together, but last time we ate out, I asked that they bring the broccoli first, and he ate it all. 

2. Delivery method matters.  Some kids will eat baby food vegetables but not real ones, for a little while, that's ok.  Those blends in the pouches are great: they don't taste like veggies, and he thinks they're fun to eat.  Lately he's been all about using utensils, so if he can stab it or eat it off of a spoon (with assistance) he's much more likely to eat it. 

3. Liquids matter.  Toddlers don't need juice.  They're perfectly capable of drinking water.  It's better for their teeth, decreases the risk of obesity, and establishes good lifelong habits.  

4. Choices matter.  He's been eating a lot of carrots and peas lately.  I do wish he would branch out a bit, and I keep offering him new things, but if he will get his recommended serving of vegetables in carrots and peas I'm going to let him. 

5.  Your perspective matters. Toddlers don't pick toddler foods, their parents do.  I know at some point the world (ahem, Nana) is going to catch up to me on this one, but for now I make the food choices.  He eats whole grain bread, with crust.  He eats real cheese (vs. processed).  He drinks water.  Cookies and cheese crackers are treats, not staples. Within reason, he eats what we're eating.  He is also welcome to eat things that I don't like, and I'm not going to try to influence his perception. 


I realize that by writing this post I'm probably inviting food issues.  I promise that I will keep trying, though, and not resort to chicken nuggets and french fries as a daily meal. 

What tips and tricks have you discovered for getting your child to eat healthy?

No comments:

Post a Comment