Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day, Everyday (What's Good for Mama is Good for Everybody)

My mother-in-law seems to think that I should be making B eggs and sausage for breakfast every morning.  I know that doing so is wrong in so many ways, but I sense she thinks I'm just lazy.

It's true I don't get up in time to cook him breakfast, and he doesn't wait well when he's hungry.  On weekday mornings the alarm goes off at 6.  Usually Ray gets on the treadmill and I do a workout video for about a half-hour.  We then switch off taking showers and eating breakfast, with whoever is not in the shower getting B up when he wakes, and getting him his banana and Cheerios.

So is getting up at 6 to exercise instead of to prepare breakfast selfish?  I would be inclined to argue that taking care of myself is taking care of B.

We haven't done Mother's Day yet (Ray had to work) but I'm fairly certain that he got me a nice gift.  I appreciate it, but I don't really need gifts.  Or, I'd like gifts of the sentimental kind (hand prints, etc.)  What I really want, is just for a little while, to be pampered.  I'm not talking about the spa (although I wouldn't say no to that).  I'd just like to be cared for instead of the caregiver for a change.  I'd like to sit down on my chair at the beginning of the meal, and get up when I've finished eating.  Ah, such luxuries.

Mother's day is great, but once a year isn't enough (I know I'm extremely demanding-that probably makes me a bad mom).  Because when I can take care of myself, I'm better at taking care of everyone else.  I have more patience, I'm more physically able, and I'm setting a better example.

It's better for everybody if we put a little Mother's Day in everyday (or at least week, or month) and better for our cholesterol levels not to have eggs and sausage every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment