Monday, May 28, 2012

Let kids be kids

I was at the mall last week, shortly after 1 pm, completing a return with a female employee who was my age or younger, when a grandmother walked by corralling a 3-year-old girl.  The grandmother said to us "let this be a lesson for you."  I can only assume that she meant "use a condom, kiddies" but I think there are other lessons to be learned.

I am far from a perfect parent, and B is not a perfect child (although the little stinker does know how to put it on for the grandparents), but a trip to the mall always makes me feel like I'm doing an awesome job. (Central PA folks, Knoebel's is so good for one's self-esteem.  A visit never fails to make me feel slender, well-dressed, patient and nurturing.)

Kids misbehave, and they do it in public.  It's embarrassing, but if you're doing your best, other moms are likely to sympathize.  However, I don't feel sorry for you when you are yelling at your child for BEING A CHILD.

I am 30 years old and I still get cranky when I am hungry, tired, or ignored.  Why would a child be different?  That little girl was not misbehaving, she was simply acting as a little girl should.  If taking her to the mall is too much for you, don't take her to the mall.  There is space to run and things to see and if she is mutely standing by your side the whole time she is not a normal 3-year-old. 

This toddlerhood stage can be so frustrating, but I  keep reminding myself (and sometimes others), that he is not being bad, he is being a toddler.  It is our job to teach him the right way, not to assume that he already knows it.  It's frustrating, but it's also magical to see the world through his eyes, and just let him be a kid.

No comments:

Post a Comment