Sunday, November 10, 2013

and a fall sensory box

B may not be much of a crafter, but he loves sensory boxes.  Give a boy something he can dig in and you have got a winner.

One of the things that I'm really trying to do with the crafts and other activities is recognize the seasons. I want to create family traditions and rhythm to our year. I love seasonal things and especially love fall, so a fall sensory bin seemed like a good idea.

When I searched Pinterest the ideas I got were oatmeal (messy), coffee grounds (messy and wasteful!), and popcorn (expensive!) I decided that dried corn would be a good idea, however it would appear that "deer" corn only comes in 50 lb bags.  Our sensory bin is an under-bed box.  That's a bit too much. Next obstacle.  A friend was willing to split the bag, and then we discovered that it was coated in molasses.  Toddlers manage to be sticky even when you don't let them play in molasses. In the end we got dried corn on the cob and the hubby stripped it.  This option was still fairly expensive, but worth it.


 I added some small pine cones and artificial leaves and then the best part, some tractors and diggers (I am terrible mother of boys-I call every construction vehicle a digger).  

I'm lucky I got the picture above, because B couldn't wait to get in it and he played with it for hours over the course of the next few days. He took out the leaves pretty quickly because they didn't work that well with the tractors.  Then I said that we needed to make a silo, and he went and got his Duplo blocks, so they got added to the mix too. 


I guess I had better start thinking about a Christmas sensory box, in case it proves as difficult as this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment