Friday, November 15, 2013

And a simple fall dinner

I enjoy cooking and someday I hope to do it again. :)  Okay, so I do cook, but the days of elaborate meals are over for awhile.  You know, meals with multiple components: main dish, 2 side dishes, salad, bread, dessert. 2 components are about my max these days, 3 if you're allowed to count bread from a bag (and I seriously often forget to even put that on the table).

That's why one-dish meals are so fabulous.

It's hard to go wrong with the ease and delicious-ness of roasted veggies.  Dress them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and maybe a fresh herb and you're good to go. To make it a meal I add some sliced sausage and perhaps a salad if I'm feeling ambitious.

Any vegetable that will stand up to roasting will work.  Green beans made a frequent appearance when they were so plentiful this summer.   I made a beautiful version with multi-colored carrots and potatoes. My absolute favorite has to be the fall combination, however.

I like to use a butternut squash or sweet potatoes, cauliflower, and apples.  A chicken apple sausage compliments these flavors beautifully.  Simply peel and cube the squash or 2-3 potatoes, about 2/3 head cauliflower, and slice 2-3 apples and a pack of sausage.  Toss them all together with enough oil to lightly coat (2-3 T) and kosher salt and pepper to taste.


 Spread the mixture out on a jelly roll pan (or 2, depending on how much you make) and pop them in a 425 oven for 35 minutes, stirring (and rotating if you're using 2 pans) halfway through.



And dinner is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment