Monday, January 9, 2012

Accomplishments

Yesterday the greeter at Lowe's asked me how old Benjamin was.  He told me that he has a five-month old daughter, and wondered if they get more "fun."  I'm guilty of sometimes wishing the time away too.  As much as I wanted him always to be a baby, I also have been looking forward to when he got "fun." I eagerly wait for the day when we can play games, and do crafts, and go do things together.  What parent doesn't yearn for sleeping through the night or independence?

Since his first birthday, I've been reflecting more on how quickly things change, and how each stage brings both assets and challenges.  Now I look back fondly on the times he would sleep snuggled up on me and I could fix everything with a breast.  Some discoveries and accomplishments make me proud and some just frustrate me. I was proud when he could feed himself but frustrated when he started throwing food on the floor.  I was proud when he could walk but terrified when he opened the door to the basement by himself!  I was proud when he could play in the tub but disgusted when he discovered that he could also play in the toilet!

I think we all, parents or not, sometimes need a reminder to slow down and enjoy life as it is right now.  Laugh at the mess and try to see the world as a toddler does: one giant playground to be explored. Changes will happen for better and for worse, but we'll never live this particular day again.

No comments:

Post a Comment