Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A word about the title

When my husband was doing his fellowship in North Carolina, before we had children, I belonged to a resident spouse group.  Most of the group's members had children and were full-time moms.  They were the type of moms who couldn't go out to dinner without their children (even while the father watched them).  They were the type of moms whose e-mail addresses are "aidansmom@hotmail.com."  They were the type of moms who, when asked what they did for fun, answered "babies."  I vowed never to become one of these women.

I'll admit that once I became a mother, it was a little easier said than done.  There is the feeling that no one (not even or especially Dad) will do it as well you.  There is the guilt at ever taking time for yourself.  There is, especially for full-time moms, the temptation to define yourself by your children, as you might have defined yourself by your employment in the past.  My goal continues to be that my child, while a hugely important part of my life, is not the only thing in my life.  I am a reader, singer, wife, MBA, daughter, sister, cousin, friend, pianist, granddaughter, cook, member, aunt, organ donor... and mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment