Friday, January 20, 2012

Snow day

I have always loved snowy days.  There's a certain peacefulness that comes from a new blanket of white that inspires one to curl up with a favorite book, movie, or person, and just enjoy the day.  Even working I enjoyed the occasional snowy day.  While days off were rare, there was still an easing of standards on such days.  Lateness was excusable, dressing down was expected, and I might grab an extra cup of coffee and take a few extra minutes to chat with co-workers about their drives. 

So this morning I was pleased to see snow.  But try as I might, I couldn't come up with a reason why less than an inch of snow should keep me from vacuuming.  Or anything else on my to-do list.  In short, snow makes absolutely no difference to my day now.  The only thing it might do is keep me away from the distractions (playdates, errands) that get us out of the house and keep me sane. 

And I know that in years to come snow days will mean children home from school to entertain or find care for, activities to be rescheduled, and wet clothes lying around the foyer.  It may be that my love for snowy days is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment