Friday, January 13, 2012

Looking good

Please don't hate me. The truth is, I had no trouble losing weight after having Benjamin. In fact, I weigh less now than I did before pregnancy. I think this has at least something to do with good genes (I also got fat toes, spider veins, and PCOS from my Mom, so let me at least have this one thing!) I'll also say that I kept a healthy diet and walked often during pregnancy. 

Since giving birth, I have only one secret. They'll tell you that breast milk is the best for your baby.  They'll tell you that it's free.  They'll tell you that you decrease your risk of certain kinds of cancer while providing antibodies that keep your baby from getting sick.  They'll tell you that it's a great way to bond with your baby. Yeah, yeah.  Here's the real reason you should breastfeed.  WEIGHT LOSS.  (I'm totally, ok, partly kidding.  You should do it for all of the reasons.  The weight loss is a nice perk though!)

So it's true that I've lost weight, but not that much, really.  Still, I have never gotten so many compliments on how I look as in the last year.  As recently as Christmas (over a year after giving birth) I was told how good I look.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.  It just seems to me that the bar is very low for new moms.  Maybe it's because other women realize that we need a self-esteem boost.  Maybe it is because I actually have one gene (just that one) that makes other women jealous.  Either way, I'll take it.  And now that Benjamin is down to just a nighttime nursing, I'll work harder to keep the weight off.  Keep the compliments coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment