Tuesday, January 17, 2012

To work or not to work

Before I became a mom, I worked in college financial aid.  It was a job that I didn't love, nor did I hate (well, not most days).  When I found out that I was expecting Benjamin, I knew that I didn't want to continue working full-time in a position that I didn't find to be challenging or fulfilling while someone else spent that time with my child.  I also didn't think that I wanted to spend everyday alone with an infant.  What I really wanted was to work part-time.  To my employer this option was a no-go.  I had to work full-time or not at all.

After a year at home with my son my view has not changed.  I like being the one who is responsible for discipline, for choosing what food he eats, for comforting him when he falls, for reading, and playing, and learning. It is still true, however, that long days without adult interaction, battling wills with a toddler, now, can be lonely and mind-numbing.

So when I saw this study: http://www.babycenter.com/204_working-moms-happier-healthier-than-sahms-says-study_10360752.bc I thought, "well duh."  While I know that no mom, no matter what her employment situation, is perfectly happy, free of guilt and worry, it's obvious to me that part-time work is a great option. Still, it's nice to have research to back it up.

And yet, part-time job opportunities for professionals seem difficult to find.  Employers seem to only want you all, so women choosing to spend more time with family are left with nothing.  Because as much as we love our children, they do not give us the same validation that we get professionally.  And as I discussed in a previous post, taking time away can make us better parents. 

I hope that you are happy with your employment choice.  I also hope that employers will see the talented (and inexpensive-hello, no benefits!) pool that is being left untapped and will offer more work options to make us all happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment